Wednesday, November 12, 2008

HELP.......I'VE GOT A BINKI ADDICT!





Okay so I was one of those moms who made to comment......my daughter won't have a binki by the time she's 3.......well in two months she will be 3 and I'm in trouble. How do you say no to a face like this? She is so in love with her binki! And the answer is yes I've tried cutting the tip off, cutting cold turkey, only allowing her to have them at nap or bedtime, telling her they have to stay in her bed or in the car seat and all the other suggestions I have heard. But somehow she finds it goes into her room and shuts the door so I won't see her. AHHH......I don't know how to get rid of it. Any new suggestions. Somedays I feel like there are worse battles to fight so I just give in and say fine you win. However with her birthday approaching I have got to take care of this one.
HELP!

7 comments:

JANEAL said...

Up until Carter was two he would suck on the arms of his teddy bear to go to sleep. I had to buy a back up bear for him while I washed the other one. It got to the point that I had to wash them everyday and they still stunk. We called his bear "stinky bear". He wouldn't go to sleep without it. I tried taping the arms so he couldn't suck on them but he got the tape off. Finally I told him that Mr. Aligator (from the song 5 little monkeys swinging from the tree) ate his stinky bear. It worked!!! I couldn't believe that finally we got rid of the thing. GOOD LUCK is all I can say!

Ranay said...

Hey - great blog! Nice to hear from you. Whereabouts are you? Only one of my boys had a bink and it was pretty easy to get rid of, so I have no advice for you. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey Em,

The best thing with Madi is she didn't like anything dirty. So nature took it's course while we were potty training her and she dropped her bink in the toilet on accident. She said EWWW! So that took care of it! It was amazing. Selah though, was another story. She was 3.5 when she got rid of hers. So, maybe try to "accidentally" drop it in the toilet and make it icky so she will maybe say....binky got dirty, can't have it anymore! ;) Good luck babe~

OliveJuiceCo said...

Ugh. This is the HARDEST part of mommy-hood, I swear. We literally just got Gray to give his up (he turned 3 in september.) and it was a serious chore. It took months! The final kicker was when he got strep throat and it hurt too bad to suck the binks. LOL I told an itsy bitsy white lie by telling him that his mouth got too big for the binkies so they hurt to suck now. Hahahaha Worked like a charm! So my only advice-- expose your little cutie to strep! ;) Totally joking, but that's what worked for us.

Fairytale Foto's by Melanie said...

I have the same problem!!! Hadlee is obsessed! I put it up on the fridge today and found her up on the cupboard trying to climb up the fridge. And I would rather have her happy with it than throwing a fit without it!!! If you find a good way to get rid of it tell me PLEASE!!!

Stacey Crandall said...

Em, I tried all those tricks with Tanner. Finally we really honstly went threw the house and got rid of every last one. There was no emergency back up, not one... anywhere.... this was more so I would not give in. We had to search and find the ones he had hidden. And it was a week of Hell... But it worked.. good luck?

Anonymous said...

Boston loved his binki too. We just told him he was a big boy now and that the binki fairy (or whoever you make up) was coming to take them away now. We had him find all his binkies and put them in a bag by his bed. We said bye bye to all the binki's and in the morning they were gone--never to be seen again. It was hard for the first week, but after that they don't even need it anymore. Boston still does a sucking motion with his mouth when he sleeps. I guess he still dreams about it--he loved it so much. Good luck, you just have to stick to your guns and follow through with whatever plan you choose.