So I worked yesterday, and they asked the nurses from our office to go to the hospital to learn how to do nasal swabing for the swine flu.....don't ask me why. (For those of you who don't know what I do I am a nurse for an Obgyn). Anyways, they were telling us not only how bad the swine flu was but how awful the normal flu is going to be this year. They say that they have already seen cases of RSV and the normal flu, and the flu season doesn't normally kick in for another month or so. So here are a few tips for you to use:
1. Wash your hands!!!!
2. Have hand sanitizer in your kids school bags and in your car, use it before and after going to the store, school, church, etc. I also have it in every bathroom and bedroom in my house. Teach your kids to use it when leaving school before walking in the house, then have them wash with soap and water.
3. Have your kids take their clothes off after school and put them directly into the hamper.
4. If someone gets sick confine them to a bedroom and one bathroom, have them shut the door, and eat all meals in the room they are in, and throw away their toothbrush after they are starting to feel better, have them wear a mask when leaving the room they are in.
5. DO NOT SEND KIDS TO CHURCH OR SCHOOL SICK! I HAVE A HUGE ISSUE WITH THIS. I THINK IT IS SO INCONSIDERATE AND RUDE! EVEN IF THEY ARE ONLY SHOWING MILD SYMPTOMS. IT IS BETTER FOR THEM TO STAY HOME THAN TO INFECT THE WHOLE WORLD AROUND THEM.
6. Do not go to the store when you are sick, have someone else pick up items you need and leave them on your door step.
7. Clorox wipe door handles and light switches, remotes, and phones once a week, as well as your normal disinfecting of bathrooms and kitchen throughout the week.
8. Get your vaccinations and flu shots.
9. Take a multivitamin.
10. Teach your kids how to cough and sneeze into a tissue, and then directly throw it away.
11. Don't share food and drinks during this time.
I honestly believe that if people would follow some of these simple tips as well as others, we could help cut down on how much junk floats around! I know I don't want any major flu this up coming season with little ones, especially a new one on the way.
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Thanks for posting this!! As a Mom to a baby with heart disease, it is so very important that people follow each and every one of these suggestions. If Veiyah gets sick, she's in big trouble. She will get Synagis shots for RSV season starting in October and all the way till May!! Last year, she was the only baby in Iowa that had the shot in May because of how low her immune system is. Not so great of a winter for us, as we pretty much can only take her out for Dr's appts. Anyway, I really appreciate it when people get the word out. Especially about school and church. It IS very inconsiderate. Praying you and your family stay healthy this season! xoxo ani
Post a Comment